Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Global Illumination

Over the past three days, I have been doing a little work on Global Illumination in Houdini. I made a scene with bright colors to emphasize the diffuse reflections. I had to do a lot of tweaking to get a result that was similar to what I wanted, still not exactly what I want though. So here they are.


 



This is my first try. The main problems with it are the red boxes reflection to the right is to bright and has weird edges, and the texture on the tube is weird and has a seam on the right side of the image. Other than that, it came out decent.

http://flickr.com/photos/heydabop/2923490110/


 




For my second render, I changed the lighting upped the photon count to 1,000,000. I also added in caustic calculation to help keep the Global Illumination from being over lit, as with the reflection in the last image. The caustics are not rendered in the final image. In lighting, I went from one spot light, to four spot lights, creating a square behind the camera.

http://flickr.com/photos/heydabop/2923495580/


 



I decided to change the tube's texture in the third render, since I am too inexperienced to get the UV projection I wanted, I just went with a homogeneous texture. Same lighting and photon count as in the last image. I am going to render this again, but get rid of the bronze tint from the tube, as it does not suit my tastes. One thing I found interesting in this was the purple reflection in the blue box. The only thing I can guess is that the red box is reflected on the back of the tube, which reflects on the blue box.

http://flickr.com/photos/heydabop/2922647089/

No comments: