Friday, October 10, 2008

Collisions 2

After posting my problem that I explained in my last entry in the Side Effects forums, I received an answer from Allegro, who I believe is a Side Effects employee. From what I have seen of Allegro's posts, he seems to know what he's talking about. So I read through what he had posted, understanding most of it. I could not look at the file attached to his post, as I was short on time.

I returned later and downloaded his file. I opened it to find a high quality collision mesh of my geometry. Pleased with what Allegro had made I went on to fine tune my fluid simulation. After computing the simulation, I then foolishly rendered it without actually watching it all of it. I had to do some test renders of the first frame to get lighting down, and get a good render time to quality ratio. After I set up the lighting and render quality, I rendered all of the simulation. I kept checking on my computer every few minutes to see how far it was, and see if everything looked good. It took about two hours to render, and once it was done, I played the finished sequence. I was not happy with what I saw. You could only see the water drop in two frames of the 24 FPS sequence, and it settled in its container in about ten frames. Frustrated with myself for not checking my simulation before I rendered it, I started to think about how to slow down the drop. However, I quickly decided to work on it later. So far, all I have thought of doing is increasing the scene's scale. I will see how that works in a day or two.

Thanks for fixing my collision mesh, Allegro.

Collision Thread: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=13588

No comments: