Sunday, June 15, 2008

Camp Orr

I got back from Camp Orr last night. It was a lot of fun, as I ended up doing a BSA lifeguard certification course. I swam one mile two days in a row, and got to jump off a cliff.

I planned on going to camp to get Merit Badges; I was doing four badges with one free period during the day. Only one of my Merit Badges was Eagle required, and the other three were somewhat boring, so during my free period I went down to the waterfront to see what it took to be a BSA lifeguard. I got signed up without ever saying I wanted to be, but it all worked out nicely.

During lunch, I found all of the staff teaching my different classes and told them I would no longer be attending. Then I got on to lifeguarding. I knew most of what I had to do and know from Lifesaving, but some was new. It was very enjoyable, and the Staff Members were awesome. During the second half of the week, my days mostly consisted of helping teach some very big classes at the waterfront. On Friday, I had to take a test, which I passed, and from then on, I have been a BSA lifeguard. The requirements for BSA are about the same as Red Cross, I just have to know stuff about Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat.

Overall, I had a ton of fun at camp. The food was good, the Staff was awesome, and I had fun with my troop. However, it is nice to be back home.

No comments: